Wednesday, December 31, 2008

70s selections by stout and jim

StoutXTC's picks for 70s grooves (including Stout's commentary):

Amusement Park- Groove Your Blues Away circa 1982. (No samples used to my recollection...just one of those songs that I warped into the ground as a kid and is still timeless)...

Faze O- Riding High circa 1975. This song has been on a phethora of comp Cds and is one of those obscure little jams that have been confused with Kool n The Gang or The Isley Brothers...to me its just backdrop groove from a late night dancefloor, looking at a summer sunset...or sunrise with that special someone...groovin'.

The Blackbyrds- Rock Creek Park circa 1975. Although Donald Byrd is known mostly within the jazz community, with his side group the Blackbyrds, is showing their versatility by spreading there wings and flying off in other directions. Now while certain jams remind you that you want to take it easy with that special someone, this is simply one of those jams that you drop at the right moment when you want the party to kick it up a couple of notches!!!

The Love Commitee- Just As Long As I Got You circa 1978. This old school classic racked my brain for almost 4 years until Doc Martin put me out of my misery. He and Lilla(Vocalist) reworked the track into a house/bossa diddy and from the instant I heard it I knew it was something old school but I couldn't place it...I asked family members and everything too but no one had an answer for me...Thanks Doc!

Minnie Riperton- Inside My Love circa 1975. (Sample used in Kenny Dope Project "Get On Down" along with a couple of other hip hop and house tracks)...I'd forgotten a lot of the tracks mainly due to the fact that you mostly heard "Lovin You" after her passing in 1979 but luckily I started diggin around. Check out the live performance of this timeless talent...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRBHSkXWPCs

Patrice Rushen- Haven't You Heard circa 1979. (Sampled in the 1999 underground track "I Feel Good Things For You" by Daddy's Favorite). Now I have to admit that I didn't initially give her the credit she was due...mainly because I only remembered her early 80's hit "Forget Me Nots" but between this track and "Number One" that have been sampled over and again I simply stand corrected and I'm now all about her praise.

Machine- There But For the Grace of God There Go I circa 1978. This little known classic survived the years by being put in movies and their soundtracks and put on compilations. There was even a rework of the track to play for underground use some 5 or 6 years back...amazing how the lyrics of this track holds true for many of us in this society in its present. A reminder of how far we still have to go...

Teena Marie- Square Biz circa 1981. (sampled quite a bit in the hip hop world...I think the last person that used it was Foxy Brown). Now I could've this song was earlier than that but this little gem put her square in the middle of some serious soul! No one questioned her ethnicity even after she was shown on television!! Her voice, collabs and body of work continues to stand and speak volumes!!! Ghetto pass 4 Life...

Diana Ross- Love Hangover circa 1979. Ok, now IMO if you're going to do any type of disco party, you have to have your dj play Donna Summer or Diana Ross...period! If you don't have either then there is NO disco let alone a party...and since this is my list I had to go with my ultimate favorite disco song ever!!!

Watch Diana Ross perform Love Hangover here.

O'Bryan - Soul Train's a Comin' circa 1983. O'Bryan was one of those artists that fell by the wasteside by 1985 but before that he was on his way with hits like "Just A Gigolo" and this one time revamp title song for the Soul Train TV series to ring in the new era of the 80's R & B stylee! I couldn't resist especially since this was one of the baddest TV themes to have ever hit video screen!!! You know you was dancin on Saturday morning/afternoon/night/whenever the tv station in yo neck of the woods decided to put the show on!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim's picks for 70s grooves:

Idris Muhammad - Could Heaven Ever Be Like This (1977)

Giorgio Moroder - From Here To Eternity 7" Mix (1977)

Instant Funk - I Got My Mind Made Up (1978)

Needa - Come On And Rock 12" Mix (1979)

Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes - Wake Up Everybody (1975)

Salsoul Orchestra - The Chicago Bus Stop (1976)

Skyy - First Time Around (Original Larry Levan 12 Inch Mix) (1979)

Boogie Motion - Boris Midney/Beautiful Bend (1978)

Brick - Dazz (Looong Version) (1976)

Orlando Riva Sound - Moon Boots (Original Full 12" Version) (1977)

And here are some tracks from the 1980s that Jim has been listening to:

A Number Of Names - Sharevari (1981)

Charlie - Spacer Woman (12" Vocal) (1983)

Valerie Dore - Get Closer (1984)

Raw Silk - Do It To The Music (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment