Friday, October 13, 2006

sneak peeks

I saw two sneak preview films this week: Borat and Man of the Year.

Borat

To quote a line from SNL: "I loved it. It was much better than CATS. I want to see it again and again." Seriously, the funniest movie ever ever ever. I usually can't stomach so-called comedies. I really only like Mel Brooks' films, as well as Office Space, Haiku Tunnel, and a few dark comedies (The Loved One, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3*, Office Killer, Schizopolis, etc.) Oh, and I forgot Clue, Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, and Mean Girls, too. Considering the amount of films I've seen, there aren't a whole lot of good comedies that I'd say made me laugh out loud. Borat is the funniest movie I have ever seen. Un-effin'-believable. See it when it comes out, and I'll bet it's one of the only movies this year that you'll see in a theater twice.

*It really is a comedy, seriously. If you haven't seen it, it's dark, twisted, and gory, but still really funny.



Man of the Year

The marketing has been a little misleading. It's not a strict comedy. It's a comedy, political soapbox, and a little bit of a thriller. I'm okay with a movie blending genres, but I read a review of this film earlier today and the reviewer couldn't handle the genre mixing. Whatever. It's not as laugh out loud hysterical as Borat (truly a hard act to follow), but it's still a well made movie that you can feel good about. Yeah, it's a feel good movie, but there's nothing wrong with that. And it is funny. Well, Robin Williams is funny. He's pretty much playing himself as John Stewart. I'm okay with this, although the anti-smoking message was really heavy handed. Okay, I get it: "Don't smoke." Cool, thanks... now end the movie so I can go outside and light one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment