Tuesday, October 24, 2006

heroes

How is NBC the lowest rated network with new shows like 30 Rock, Studio 60, and Heroes being broadcast alongside The Office and My Name is Earl? I don't get it. Why aren't you watching these shows? I'll admit that this past weekend's SNL was the worst I've ever seen. Terrible. Not funny. So disappointing. Tina Fey's writing is sorely missed... but on the bright side she's the power behind 30 Rock, which is pretty funny, but not as funny as SNL has been for the past few years. Anyhow, my new favorite show is Heroes. It's even better than Prison Break, which saved it's weaker second season tonight by pulling some twists and turns that I really didn't expect, which is exactly what you want to do with an action-mystery show like this. But back to Heroes. This is freaking amazing television. It is creative, well-made (the over-saturated colors and lighting give much of it a comic book look and feel remeniscent of David Lynch's Mulholland Drive...and that is a good thing), interesting, clever, and intense. It's only had 5 episodes and already I've felt almost as many "wow" moments as the entire run of Twin Peaks. Hopefully, if you weren't able to catch the first few episodes, you caught up on what you've missed this past Sunday, when NBC ran a three-episode Heroes marathon... which kind of ticked me off because they didn't replay the pilot (which I missed). In case you haven't watched at all, you're missing a story about people with superhero powers: an unbreakable cheerleader, a cop who can hear people's thoughts, two brothers who can fly, a woman with a very powerful split personality, a heroin addict who can paint the future, and a Japanese guy who can teleport, pause time, and time travel. They are now just beginning to cross paths. My only complaint is a minor one, and it has only to do with the ad campaign: "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" makes me cringe. It's hardly "Who Shot J.R.?" nor is it "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" Someone in NBC's marketing department needs to be demoted to janitor for that one. Anyhow, they even have an online comic book graphic novel with clues and extras not included in the show available here.

1 comment:

  1. Mission 7: Find one who can walk through walls.
    Can you walk through walls? Let me know if you can.
    Got a Heroes site? Link to my blog.
    http://therealheroes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete